The main objective of the Master in Informatics Engineering is to complement the broadband training acquired during a first degree in Computer Science, or equivalent, with advanced training in relevant areas of Computer Sciences and in other transversal areas. In particular, the Master shall:
- Meet Bologna's assumptions in its various aspects, including teaching methodologies, length of study cycles, employability and student mobility;
- Offer training directly related to the real needs of the employing market;
- Capture the interest of the largest possible number of students of the first degree, either from the University of Algarve, or from other national and foreign universities;
- Foster the interest in research activities and offer the necessary training to attend a third training cycle leading to a PhD degree.
Classes are held from Monday to Friday, after at 6pm.
The Master consists of an organized set of course units, called the master's course, corresponding to 66 ECTS credits, and a scientific dissertation, a project work or a professional internship, which corresponds to the remaining 54 credits ECTS.
The Master Course consists of the following sets of course units:
- Compulsory – Six course units considered essential in the advanced training of a Computer Engineer (36 ECTS). This set of courses includes a soft-skills discipline.
- Optional – Five course units, for a total of 30 ECTS. These units may be chosen individually or by thematic area: Computer Science, Data Analysis and Computer Networks.
- Dissertation / Project / Internship - Thesis of a scientific nature, or a project work, or a professional internship, corresponding to the remaining 54 ECTS credits.
The Profile of General Skills of the Master in Informatics Engineering is developed along four fundamental components: (i) To Know (theoretical knowledge), (ii)To Know How to Do (technical-professional knowledge), (iii) Social Know How (Social and relational skills) and (iv) Learning how to Learn (Cognitive skills).
The Master promotes the development of the general skills of its students in each one of the aspects listed above. In particular:
- Consolidating knowledge in Engineering Sciences and in Computer Sciences
- Providing the ability to synthesize and analyze data, develop scientific and technological experiences and solve problems using carefully the available resources, namely those associated with computer resources
- Providing the ability to communicate, oral and written, data, ideas, problems and solutions to different audiences and in particular to audiences specialized in the field of Computer Science
- Fostering the sense of responsibility and professional ethics
- Providing the ability to work as a team and adapt to technological changes through continuous and autonomous curriculum development
The Master Holder in Informatics Engineering has skills in:
- Analysis, design and development of information systems
- Relevant programming languages paradigms
- Information systems management
- IT systems project and management
- Advanced security topics in networks and information systems
- Computer network design and management, focusing on the Internet of Things
- Extraction of relevant information from large volumes of data
- Design of intelligent systems for solving complex problems
Tuition and Fees 2023/2024
National Students: 1100 Euros
International Students*: 4000 Euros
Application Fee: 50 Euros
Registration Fee and School Insurance: 175 Euros
Note: The tuition of this course can be paid in 10 installments, being the first at the time of registration and the remaining in the months of October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May and June.
* in accordance with Decree-Law No. 36/2014, changed by Decree-Law No.62/2018, of 6th August, international students are nationals of a country which is not a Member State of the European Union and are not a legally resident in Portugal for more than 2 uninterrupted years by 1st of January of the enrolment year
The Master Holders in Computer Science from the University of Algarve are able to integrate staff of companies in the area of Computer Science, performing functions such as:
- Computer engineer
- Computer network engineer
- System engineer
- Knowledge engineer
- Computer security engineer
- Information systems engineer
- Decision support systems engineer
- Information systems architect
- Computer and security consultant
- Specialist in image analysis and synthesis
- Specialist in data mining and analysis
- Specialist in intelligent systems
- Computer science researcher