The general objectives of the PhD program in Computer Science are to provide students with the skills for original scientific research in the area, namely those skills enumerated on the law (art. 18, dec-lei 107/2008):
- systematic understanding of the discipline of computer science; computer science working methodology;
- conducting original research in computer science;
- critical analysis of new developments in information technology;
- active engagement in the computer science community;
- promoting technological progress.
In addition, through its PhD program in computer science, the University of Algarve intends to assert its presence in this scientific field. The Algarve University also offers a bachelor's and a master's degree in computer science, and both are generally well-regarded. The doctoral program corresponds to the most advanced level of education within the discipline of computer science, at Universidade do Algarve.
Duration: 3 years